NOT YET CALLED BUT ALREADY CHOSEN
*"Not Yet Called, But Already Chosen"*
...From an Upcoming Lawyer to You....
"Good day, distinguished guests, fellow students, and everyone reading this.
My name is Beloved otherwise known as talkativebeloved, and I am an upcoming lawyer.
Notice I didn’t say ‘I want to be’ a lawyer. I said ‘I am’. Because the moment you decide that your purpose is justice, you already start wearing the robe in your mind.
Let me be honest with you: This journey is not going to be easy.
There are nights when the cases are too many, the statutes are too long, and your bed looks more attractive than Black’s Law Dictionary. There are times you will argue in class and lose. Times you will read 40 pages and still not understand one paragraph. Times people will ask you, ‘Law? Why stress yourself?’
But I am here to tell you why.
*I am here because law is power with a conscience.*
It is the difference between a man being locked up because he is poor, and a man being freed because he is right. It is the voice for the market woman who was cheated. It is the pen for the student who was silenced. It is the shield for a generation that will not settle for ‘that’s just how Nigeria is.’
To everyone in this audience: You don’t have to wear a wig and gown to care about justice.
If you are a doctor, be a doctor who won’t take bribes to falsify a report.
If you are an engineer, build roads that won’t collapse on innocent people.
If you are a student, refuse to be quiet when your rights are being stepped on.
That is law in action, even without a certificate.
*I am upcoming, but I am already responsible.*
Responsible to read, not just to pass exams, but to understand.
Responsible to speak, not just to sound smart, but to speak truth.
Responsible to fail, and still come back to the library the next morning.
The Nigerian Law School is waiting. The Bar is waiting. Courtrooms are waiting. But before all of that, character is waiting. And character is built now, in this lecture hall, in this moment, with you as my witness.
So if you see me in the future in a courtroom, defending someone, remember you saw me here first. When I had no cases, no clients, no senior advocate title... just fire.
And if you are in this audience wondering, ‘Can I do it?’ Yes. You can.
The law does not need more people who are brilliant and heartless. It needs people who are brilliant and human. People who will lose sleep over justice, not just money.
I am not called to Bar yet. But I am called to a standard.
A standard of excellence. A standard of integrity. A standard of service.
Watch me. Hold me to it.
Because one day, I won’t just be an upcoming lawyer…
I will be the reason someone believes in the law again.
Thank you, and may justice guide us all."
****talkativebeloved****
.png)
Comments
Post a Comment